INTRO...

Prologue...
Eventually this blog will become a wonderful story, collaboration and reflection of our journey, education and commitment to how and why we've become vegan runners. At age 40, with two children (Jackson and Nathan), we've discovered something in ourselves that we didn't know existed and the result of this discovery has had an incredible impact on our life, our love, and our family.

This blog is intended to share our experiences as plant based runners. Come on in and join our story...

~ Zoe and Brad

Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Lucky"

For anyone who has run the "Around The Bay" road race in Hamilton, Ontario the last few years, I think you know who Lucky is. He sits in front of the cemetary on Valley Inn Road just before "Heartbreak Hill" between km 25-26 of the 30km race. It is a common superstition to shake his hand or give him a high five for good luck before the challenging hill ahead. He is at that exact spot every year. Rain or shine.

This is far from unusual in running races except "Lucky", and I'm not sure the acceptable way to say this... has no legs! Other than the obvious irony of his nickname, I have not given him too much thought, during the race or otherwise. 

Two summers ago, however, I had to deal with a few training related injuries while preparing for my first marathon. Nothing serious. Knee tendinitis and hip flexor issues. But enough that I had to take a break from running for the first time in my life. I was starting to let frustration get the better of me. Why me...? It's not fair... I deserve better...
Then I thought of "Lucky"... 

I realized how "lucky" I was. Lucky to able to participate in one of the oldest and purest of sports. What a gift it is to be able to run. Run fast. Run far. Run whenever I had the chance. From then on I enjoyed every single breath of fresh air. Every quirky or mundane site along the route. As well as the physical and mental benefits running provides. 

So, thank you Lucky. You remind me every spring how fortunate I am to be on the open road. With nothing but my own two feet and miles to cover. I won't take it for granted again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment